Paul Monaghan of County Monaghan

feliciev

Paul Monaghan of County Monaghan

Post by feliciev »

Hi!
I need some help with finding the origins of my 2nd great-grandfather and found this forum. I am SO hopeful that someone out there will be able to help me! As my grandfather told the story....

"[Richard] Paul Monaghan came to America through the port New York with his seven sisters, without their parents, during Ireland's potato famine, probably during the 1870s. (They had been living in County Monaghan, Ireland). Then he quickly came to Texas and settled in Tyler, took up barbering, pulled teeth, and bled people."

I put Richard in brackets because I have not found any evidence of that being his name, but that is what my grandfather had been told. I have thoroughly searched passenger records, naturalization records, census records, vital records, etc but I still have no idea who his parents or siblings were. Last week I found a baptismal document in the Episcopal diocese of Texas for one of his children that included the name Thomas Monaghan (of Mass-ets) as his son's other sponsor. Here is a time line that I have put together based on information I have found.

Born about 1841 in Ireland – (1880 Census)
Married Dec 1877 to Widow Mary Flynn - (Texas Marriage Records)
Aug 1878 – first child, Paul Emmitt Monaghan was born but died at age 1 (1880 mortality schedule - buried in Old City Cemetery, Henderson, TX Plot C18)
6 Apr 1880 – second child, John Louis Monaghan was born (1880 census, baptismal record)
Residence 1880 – Henderson, Rusk Co, TX (1880 Census)
--barber’s apprentice living with him by the name of Terry Hughes (1880 Census)
Jan 1882 – first wife Mary Flynn dies (buried in Old City Cemetery, Henderson, TX Plot C18)
2nd marriage Jul 1882 to Felicie Vienne (Texas Marriage Records)
Aug 1883 – third child, Richard Vienne Monaghan was born (my great grandfather)
died 7 Aug 1888 – Tyler, Smith Co, TX (Overton Sharpshooter, 9 Aug 1888)

I would be thrilled to find any new information and would love any help offered!!
Thank you!
Lauren

feliciev

Re: Paul Monaghan of County Monaghan

Post by feliciev »

Dear Polly,
Thank you for your response! Do you think there is a connection between your William Monaghan and my Paul Monaghan? Regarding your question:
Polly Lynn wrote: I wonder which is more correct:
1. Richard Paul Monaghan came to Texas during Ireland's [most famous] potato famine
2. He came in the 1870s to Tyler
3. He came during a potato blight in the 1870s

Based on the extensive research I have done, I believe that either time period is a possibility (or both). Being that he died when my great-grandfather was 5 years old, I am not confident that all of the details were accurately passed down, therefore I have always used this as a “loose” framework for research. I have 2 different working theories without evidence to support either one of them. The first theory, I believe, is a more likely scenario.
1. Paul Monaghan came during famine in the 1840s in the care of his 7 sisters; he would have been between 4-8 years old during that time period. He stayed with his sisters until he came of age (sometime around 1860). [Then the Civil War broke out and who knows what he did.] He arrived in Texas sometime around 1876-1877 which is when I have picked up his scant trail.
2. Paul Monaghan lived in Ireland until the mid-1870s and came directly to Texas to settle down. An important observation about this theory is that he has enough cash on hand to buy land in October 1877. If his arrival in Texas was a result of a potato blight in the 1870s, which was severe enough to cause him to leave Ireland, it is strange that he would have had enough money to pay cash for his land.
The reference he makes to “Thomas Monaghan of Massachusetts” leads me to believe that he has not recently immigrated to the US (but I haven’t ruled that out).
I have not been able to find any evidence of family members for him living in Texas. There are some Monaghans in Houston & Galveston. But in his probate case, there are no other family members identified that can act as guardian to his children so a third party is assigned to them.
Hope that helps!
Lauren

pkljdl@gmail.com

Re: Monaghans of County Monaghan

Post by pkljdl@gmail.com »

Here is information on a Gilbert Monaghan of County Monaghan. I am interested in learning anything about Gilbert's birth or subsequent return to County Monaghan. Who was his father? (Was it William Monaghan or not? I am trying to make the connection.) Who were Gilbert's siblings?

Polly Lynn, pkljdl AT gmail.com

GILBERT MONAGHAN
compiled by Chris Buck, Linda T., Polly Lynn, and IRE

We can form a time line of Gilbert Monaghan's life by studying the obituary of his daughter, Henrietta Monaghan. Caution: the obituary was not written by Gilbert's daughter, but most likely by his grandchild who never met him.

OBITUARY FOR HENRIETTA MONAGHAN YOUNG
"YOUNG - In this city, on Monday 29th inst. Mrs. Henrietta Young, wife of Charles Young, Esq.

Mr. Monaghan, the father of Mrs. Young, emigrated with other relatives from the county Monaghan, Ireland, sometime previous to her birth, and commenced business in New York City, where some of her relatives Messers Harrisons, still occupy prominent positions in the commercial world. Some years before the birth of Mrs. Young, Mr. Monaghan removed from New York City to Argyle, New York, where in 1884 [date is wrong—CB; should be 1832] she was born. She afterwards resided in Albany, New York City, and in South Carolina. Returning North, she was married in Chenango County, New York to Mr. Young, he having previously been married, his first wife dying without issue. Mrs. Young leaves an interesting family of six children; her older daughters having arrived at maturity. The two younger are boys, one an infant of a few weeks. Mrs. Young was one of the noblest women with whom it has ever been our good fortune to be acquainted; and the loss to the children in the death of such a mother cannot be estimated. In every sphere of life she won the love and esteem of all who knew her. As wife, mother, or friend she had no superior; and her family and friends feel that her death has left a void that can never be filled." (Chris Buck, e-mail, 26 May 2013. Linda T., Find a Grave, memorial for Henrietta Monaghan Young, memorial 39617325. Unknown newspaper from unknown place, dated soon after 29 January 1872.)

QUESTIONS
1. You said that Gilbert Monaghan was the father of Henrietta Monaghan. How is it that you have come to that conclusion?

2. Did Gilbert Monaghan have any brothers and sisters?

3. Do you have a ship passenger list of Gilbert or did he come over too early for that? Henrietta's obituary said that her father came over with other people. Do we know who they were?

TIME LINE FOR GILBERT MONAGHAN
1. (born) or from County Monaghan, Ireland
By the way, we have DNA tested descendants from four Harrison families all of County Monaghan, Ireland. The first one tested was a descendant of James Harrison of Church Hill, County Monaghan, my third cousin. It is from this family that your and my genealogical research shows that you and I are descended. I should send you a map of Muckno Parish and the townlands, such as Church Hill, where James lived and where his sons spread out to.

2. immigrated before 1823 Albany directory (Try 1818.)

IMMIGRATION TO STATE OF NEW YORK, U.S.A.
Gilbert Monaghan immigrated to the U.S. We know this from Henrietta's obituary. We do not know whether his parents [William and Miss Harrison] immigrated or not. When did Gilbert immigrate? The Henrietta obituary hints that Gilbert came with others. It says, her father "emigrated with other relatives from the county Monaghan, Ireland." I cannot say anything about the Monaghans for I know nothing, but below is when the various Harrisons immigrated. I think Gilbert Monaghan could have immigrated about 1818.

I have found a William Monaghan of New Orleans who emigrated in 1818. (His naturalization papers give this date.)

What were Miss Harrison's siblings doing? Also James Harrison had 14 kids (incl. William, Arthur, Mary, Thomas) and lots of grandchildren. Eldest son William Harrison bought a hotel in NYC [about 1817]. Arthur's daughter Margaret Harrison Foyle immigrated through Canada I think in 1818 to Argyle, New York, and her father Arthur followed in about 1827-1828. Her aunt Mary Harrison Hutchinson came just before Arthur in 1822. To New York City came Andrew also in November 1818. In New York City next came Colonel James Harrison, son of Thomas Harrison of Church Hill. In 1826 William Harrison died single and rather wealthy. To inherit from him it helped to be alive and already in the States. (For example his deceased brother John inherited nothing and so did John's children. Descendants in New Zealand are still not happy about the money their family could have lived off of, invested, etc.)

In 1828 (after William's death) to Smithville, Chenango County, New York, came three sons of James of Church Hill: James Harrison [Jr.], Joseph Harrison, and Samuel Harrison. In about 1851 after the Great Hunger came over the children of two more kids of James: Robert and George. But 1851 was well after Henrietta's birth, so I shall stop there.

NEW YORK CITY, probably briefly
Gilbert Monaghan lived first in New York City from the time of immigration through his time in Albany [christening of son William Monaghan]. Henrietta's obituary has that her father [Gilbert Monaghan] "emigrated with other relatives from the county Monaghan, Ireland, sometime previous to her birth, and commenced business in New York City, where some of her relatives Messers Harrisons, still occupy prominent positions in the commercial world."

ALBANY, NEW YORK by 1820, through 1823
Gilbert Monaghan lived in Albany, New York in 1820 and 1823 when he had two sons christened. In Family Search, Chris Buck found that "

a Gilbert and Jane Monaghan had two sons christened at the Third Presbyterian Church, Albany, NY:
William Monghan [sic], christened 12 November, 1820. (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch, Deeds of Chenango County, New York.)
George Monaghan, christened 30 March, 1823. [This seems like it would be the George Monaghan, bartender, who died in Smithville April, 1850, age 27.] (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch.)

1823 Klinck’s Albany Directory (Ancestry)
Gilbert Monaghan, grocer food/drink, 595 South Market Street, Albany, NY
(Chris Buck, e-mail, 7 August 2013.)

ARGYLE, WASHINGTON COUNTY, NEW YORK, by 1830-1842
Lived in Argyle, New York, starting "some years before" the [birth of Henrietta in 1832]

1830 census has a Gilbert Monaghan in Argyle, Washington County, New York
1830 Census Argyle, Washington County, NY
Gilbert Monaghan
Male less than 5 – 1
Male 5-9 – 2
Male 10-14 – 1
Male 30-39 – 2
Female less than 5 – 2
Female 30-39 – 1

In 1832 the family lived in South Argyle, where Henrietta was born, according to family tree maker.

Purchase of property in Argyle, Washington County, NY (Volume FF, page 390)
7/5/1832, Gilbert Monaghan of Argyle, Washington County from William and Grazell Christie
Purchase price $3,881.90

Sale of Property in Argyle, Washington County, NY (Volume OO, page 360)
1/9/1836, Gilbert Monaghan and Jane his wife of the Town of Argyle, Washington County to James Shaw
Sale price $4,462.00

ALBANY, NEW YORK
Sale of Property in Argyle, Washington County, NY (Volume 5, page 202)
8/30/1842, Gilbert Monaghan and Jane his wife of the City of Albany to William Christie
(I didn’t record the sale price)

Thus Henrietta's obituary is right: the family was in Argyle for her birth, then Albany. Overall, Gilbert was in Albany, then Argyle, then Albany.

1840 seek Gilbert Monaghan in Argyle (or Albany)

NEW YORK CITY, after 1842 sale of Argyle land while living (in 1842) in Albany
6. [[father Gilbert and] Henrietta lived [fourth and again] in New York City, after 1832 birth of Henrietta and after Albany (for second time).

In about 1842-1848 was Gilbert Monaghan in a NYC Directory?

SOUTH CAROLINA after 1842+ Albany then NYC then SC
7. [father Gilbert Monaghan and daughter] Henrietta lived [fifth] in South Carolina, well after Henrietta's birth in 1823, after Albany (1842) and until about 1848

In 1843 or later until 1848, was Gilbert MOnaghan in a __, South Carolina Directory? We do not know the name of the town. Perhaps Richard Weening does.

GILBERT MONAGHAN MAY HAVE RETURNED TO IRELAND
"Apparently Gilbert Monaghan returned to Ireland, and what happened to him I have not been been able to learn." (Don Armstrong, e-mail, 8 August 2013.) This would explain a lack of a burial site in the U.S.

Linda T. writes, "A couple of letters has Gilbert's wife being buried in LA [Louisiana], where Brownlee's had a couple of homes. One letter said they had no idea about Gilbert, but then one letter stated that he went back to Ireland, and was never heard from again. But there was no documentation to go with that." (Linda T., e-mail to Polly, 8 August 2013.)

WIFE JANE MONAGHAN STAYS IN U.S.
In 1848 Jane Monaghan moved to Smithville, in 1850 she bought land, and in 1855 she called herself a widow. In Ireland had Gilbert died or he was still living? Chris Buck writes, "Jane said in 1850 she was a widow, but sometimes women did that even if they weren’t." (Chris Buck, e-mail, 8 August 2013.)

On 11 March 1850 Jane Monaghan bought a one acre parcel in Smithville for $700, part of Lot #37. [Lot #37 was in and around Smithville Flats.] (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch, Deeds of Chenango County, New York.)

In April Jane lost her [second son.] "George Monaghan, bartender, … died in Smithville April, 1850, age 27." (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch.)

1850 U.S. federal census [Smithville?]
Jane Monaghan, 48, born Ireland [so born about 1802?]
Henrietta Monaghan, 17, born New York
Terissa S. Monaghan, 11, born New York
(Chris Buck, e-mail, 25 May 2013.)

1855 New York state census
Jane Monaghan, 50, widow, born Ireland, res Smithville 7 years [So came to Smithville in about 1848]
Teresa Monaghan, 17 daughter, born Washington County, res Smithville 7 years [So in about 1838 the family was living in Washington County.]

1860 look in Smithville and in Louisiana

1862 PARISH OF SAINT HELENA, LOUISIANA
On 12 February 1862 Jane Monaghan [of Saint Helena, Louisiana] drew up her will. (Chris Buck, e-mail, 28-ish May 2013.)

WILL
"Jane Monaghan, a resident of Smithville Flats, NY was presently living in the Parish of St. Helena, LA when she drew her will on 2/12/1862. Witnesses in New Orleans were William C. Holmes, John Hugh Smith, J.D. Brownlee, John Hay Ferguson, and P.O. Lowe. Executors of the will were James Ramsey, William McCray, and James J. Harrison of Chenango County. She died on 10/8/1864 (don’t know where) and next of kin were Mary Jane Brownlee, Henrietta Young, and Teressa S. Monaghan. She left the Smithville house, property, and furniture to Teressa Monaghan. Her property in Herkimer was to be sold, with the proceeds divided among the three daughters. Some outstanding debts due her were to be divided, half to Isabella and Mary Teressa Brownleee and half to Cecilia, Margaret, Jane, and Mary Young." (Chris Buck, e-mail, 28-ish May 2013.)

"It looks like she skipped the grandsons in this deal. The will was probated 4/22/1867. There’s another Letter of Testament file that I couldn’t open today. I’ll try again." (Chris Buck, e-mail, 28-ish May 2013. Familysearch.)

In New Orleans was executor
(1) Jane's son-in-law, James D. Brownlee, the husband of Mary Jane Monaghan, Jane's daughter.
In Chenango County, New York, were executors:
(2) James Ramsey
In 1828 the Ramsey family had left Ireland on the same ship as James Harrison [Jr.], Joseph Harrison, and Samuel Harrison. After arriving in New York City, the Ramseys and three Harrison families went to Smithville, where each man bought land.
(3) William McCray
William McCray married Margaret Harrison. I do not know how Margaret Harrisons fits into the family of James Harrison of Church Hill. I believe that Margaret was not James' daughter. Was she a niece or his granddaughter by John Harrison of Camoly Ball?
(4) James Joseph Harrison or J.J. was the son of Joseph Harrison, son of James Harrison of Church Hill (b. about 1730s). Thus if he would have been the first ousin of Gilbert Monaghan, if Gilbert was the son of Miss Harrison, daughter of James Harrison of Church Hill. And James had a a daughter who was Mrs. William Monahan.

CHARLES YOUNG AUCTIONED OFF HIS FARM IN MARCH 1863
Gilbert and Jane Monaghan's daughter, Henrietta Monaghan, married Charles Young. "When David Graham’s house and lot were put up for sale, (C.A. 4/12/1860), James J. Harrison was listed as Executor. The terms of sale could be obtained from Charles Young (Mrs. Jane Monaghan’s son-in-law). Then, the Young farm was put up for auction on March 28, 1863. This may be when Henrietta Monaghan Young and her family moved to Illinois." (Chris Buck, 26 May 2013.)

DEATH OF JANE MONAGHAN, 1864
Mrs. Jane Monaghan died 8 October 1864 in ___ . (Chris Buck, will/probate, FamilySearch.) It appears from her burial that she died in New Orleans.

BURIAL OF JANE MONAGHAN
Donald Armstrong writes, "The wife, Jane (Harrison), did remain here [in the South] and was buried near New Orleans." (Don Armstrong, e-mail, 8 August 2013.)

Linda T. writes, "A couple of letters has Gilbert's wife being buried in LA [Louisiana], where Brownlee's had a couple of homes. One letter said they had no idea about Gilbert, but then one letter stated that he went back to Ireland, and was never heard from again. But there was no documentation to go with that." (Linda T., e-mail to Polly, 8 August 2013.)

WHAT ABOUT LAND IN HERKIMER COUNTY, NEW YORK?

GILBERT AND JANE MONAGHAN'S CHILDREN
Gilbert and Jane had children including:
1. William Monghan [sic], christened [in Albany, New York] 12 November, 1820. (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch, Deeds of Chenango County, New York.)
2. George Monaghan, christened in Albany, New York, 30 March, 1823, died April 1850, Smithville.
3. [third] son born 1825-1830
3. Mary Jane Monaghan, born February 1828, New York
4. Henrietta, born June 1832 South Argyle, Washington County, New York
5. Teresa Sophia, born 1839

The property [Jane's bought in 1850] was sold by Teressa S. Monaghan of Tangipaho, LA to Ephram Loomis for $1200 on April 25, 1867. [The notary was licensed in St. Helena Parish.] The property had been devised to Teressa from Jane Monaghan, NOW DECEASED. [Note to researchers: Don’t believe what you read on other people’s family trees.] (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch, Deeds of Chenango County, New York.)

By 1870, Henrietta Monaghan Young was in Illinois and it is her obituary that we have above.
1870 U.S. federal census, Pekin, Tazewell County, Illinois
Charles Young, 52
Henrietta, wife, 38
Cecilia, 15
Margaret 14
Jennie, 12
Mary, 11
Charles, 6
James, 85 [father of Charles Young]

LINKS FROM GILBERT MONAGHAN TO [HIS FATHER] WILLIAM MONAGHAN
1. Gilbert named eldest KNOWN son William Monaghan. William was christened in 1820.
2. Greenwood Cemetery document (Brooklyn, NY) has that a Mrs. William Monaghan was the sister or half sister of Andrew Harrison, Arthur Harrison, Mrs. Alexander Hutchinson, George Harrison, ... .
3. Henrietta's obituary says that her father immigrated to New York with relatives. Obit also states that this father was related to the Harrisons who are still in business in NYC.
4. geography: NYC, Argyle, Albany, and New Orleans are all places the Harrisons lived. South Carolina is new for this family, but (a) Miss Dunn (James's first wife) had a sister who immigrated there and (b) Argyle/Ballybay congregation split between Argyle, NY, and South Carolina.

WE NEED MORE AND BETTER LINKS FROM GILBERT TO WILLIAM.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH GILBERT MONAGHAN OF ROSCOMMON, IRELAND
IRE writes, "The only record that I have is for a Church Marriage of a Gilbert Monaghan in 1835 in County Roscommon, which is in the west of Ireland. This does not seem to fit in with the dates that you mention as his wife whom he presumably married about 1819/20, as first son was born in 1820, did not die until 1864, see below." (IRE, 8 August 2013.)

pkljdl@gmail.com

Re: Gilbert Monaghan of Ireland, possibly County Monaghan

Post by pkljdl@gmail.com »

Dear Monaghan family members,

This e-mail is about hotels, withdrawing misinformation on a father, and a question on the typical religion of Monaghans.

My Gilbert Monaghan (his eldest son was born 1820 in New York state) may have had hotels back in Ireland. His descendant (L.R.) told me he had "hotels" back in Ireland and was checking on them. He left the U.S. to check on his hotels, died, and was buried at sea. We are guessing the death date was 1842, but could be anywhere between 1840 (his last census) and 1850 (when his wife was in a U.S. census as a widow). There is no ship record of a Gilbert Monaghan coming back into the U.S. after 1820 because he died at sea. Besides this story told to the descendant by I presume another descendant, our only evidence for his being buried at sea is a lack of a grave on U.S. soil. Nor is there a record for a Gilbert Monaghan back in Ireland. So he must have been buried in the middle ! Is there no directory for Monaghan in 1842? Would the "hotels" have been in his name or someone else's?

My Gilbert Monaghan married Jane Harrison, daughter of James Harrison of Church Hill, County Monaghan. It was she who was from County Monaghan. Gilbert emigrated with people from County Monaghan, but I do not know for sure that is where he had lived. My Gilbert Monaghan, I do not know the name of his father. That trail of a William Monaghan of New Orleans being Gilbert's father, that trail has gone cold. I no longer believe there is a link between my Gilbert Monaghan and any William Monaghan of [County Monaghan] Ireland. Currently Gilbert is my patriarch. He married Jane aboard ship to America, about 1817 or 1818 is my best guess based on which Harrisons may have traveled with them. PERHAPS Gilbert's mother may have emigrated with him because in the 1820 census an older woman (unnamed) lives in the household.

1820 U.S. federal census, Albany, Albany County, New York
Gilbert Monigan
Male 10-15   1
Male 45+       1 (born about 1775 or earlier)
Female 16-25      1  (born c 1795-1804) [This would be Jane Monaghan.]
Female 45+          1
(Chris Buck, e-mail, 30 September 2013, ancestry.com)

Here are the christening records showing Gilbert's sons were baptized Presbyterian.
In Albany, New York, Jane and her husband christened two sons. In Family Search, Chris Buck found that "a Gilbert and Jane Monaghan had two sons christened at the Third Presbyterian Church, Albany, NY:

William Monghan [sic], christened 12 November, 1820. (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch, Deeds of Chenango County, New York.)

George Monaghan, christened 30 March, 1823. [This seems like it would be the George Monaghan, bartender, who died in Smithville April, 1850, age 27.] (Chris Buck, e-mail, 27 May 2013. FamilySearch.)

Can anyone tell me, were all the Monaghans Presbyterian? The Monaghanas in the U.S. are largely Catholic; I never run into Presbyterian Monaghans. Do you know the religion or religions of Monaghans in County Monaghan and at what dates? Our current theory is that Gilbert or his ancestor converted from Catholic to Presbyterian.

Thank you for reading this.
Polly Lynn, pkljdl AT gmail.com