McConnon Morrissey

robertmay

McConnon Morrissey

Post by robertmay » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:16 am

Updated with current known information.
I have started to track my family. My maternal grandfather was a James McConnon born in Ireland 1892 in Carrickmacross. His Father was Jim (?James)and Mother Anne nee Lamb(?e)and his siblings were Patrick (about 5/6 years younger), Joe (probably Joseph), Natty who was killed at Dieppe, Charles Philip who moved to Liverpool and married Catherine Doris Carroll and had 5 children (James, Philip Margaret all deceased and Terry and Doris), Bridget b c1896 married ? Murray and had 3 children (Anna [married ? Marley], Jim and Maida [married ? Staines]), Kitty c 1908 (married ? Durnin), Maty c1894, Nan (a school teacher who did not marry) and 2 unnamed sisters who became nuns.James emigrated to Australia in 1914 as a Rev Brother in the Patrician order (his ship was docked in Adelaide South Australia on the night WW1 was declared) to Sydney. It was in Sydney that he left the brotherhood and married my Grandmother in 1917 (Alice Josephine Morrissey born Sydney).Their first 3 children were born in Perth Western Australia in respectively Mary 1918, Kathleen 1920, and Dorothy 1921 (my mother) the next daughter Margaret was born in Adelaide in 1923 and then Desmond 1929 and Eileen 1933 were born in Mount Gambier South Australia. Grandmothr sister Miss Mary Morrisy move from Sydney to Adelaide to assist with the younger children. I never met my Gandmother and her sister was always refered to as just "Auntie" to my generation of grandchildren. The Morrissey family came to Australia at some stage,probably in the early 1800s, but I do not have any dates. The surviving Morrissey of my mothers generation Tony (probably Anthony) circa 1929 lives in Sydney. I only met him very briefly when I was living in Sydney. This is all the information I have at this time {17/10/2007}. Any assistance in filling in the blanks would greatly appreciated.
Bob

pedagogue

Re: McConnon Morrissey

Post by pedagogue » Sat May 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Dear Bob,

I received your inquiry from my sister-in-law, Marion who is married to my brother, Kevin Durnin. They live in Surrey. I live in Dundalk. We are sons of Owen J. Durnin who married Catherine (Kitty) McConnon, daughter of Anne Lambe. I think my grandmother, Anne Lambe died in 1943, before I was born. One of my aunts was Sister Gerard, who lived in a convent on Ravensdale Rd. Belfast. Her sister the other nun, lived in a convent in Cheltenham, England. My parents and family moved to Drumcondra, Dublin in 1955. I can fill in some gaps for you. I have some old Mc Connon family photographs from the early 20th. Century.

My maternal Aunt Bridgie married Tommy Murray who worked for Esso. Maida Murray, their daughter (my first cousin) married Larry Staines, (a very successful lawyer). They lived in Artane, Dublin but I don't know if they moved from there. Bridgie's son Tom worked for Esso in Dublin,(he worked for a time in the RAF in Egypt during the fifties. . Her other sonI am a retired secondary school teacher, born in 1948. Your letter is very interesting as I also am trying to study the genealogy of both sides of our family. I don't know if this site is secure enough for me to send you my e-mail address - I would dearly love to.

Best Wishes,

Pedagogue

robertmay

Post by robertmay » Sun May 27, 2012 12:44 am

Hello Cousin :D
Wow! This is great. I have a photo that was amongst my mothers stuff of Maida and Anna in Scotland. Another of three ? McConnon Sisters (two are Nuns the centre one I am not sure in Ireland. These were both taken when my mother visited UK about 1990. I am also in contact with a Cousin Tina in Liverpool who is from Charles's line. I have written to one of his sons, Philip I think it was, in Liverpool and spoken to his daughter Doris (Catherine), who lives here in Australia (she was in New Zealand).
Would love to swap more details.
Contact me on tpibob@gmail.com
a very excited
Bob :D :lol:

Betty McConnon

Post by Betty McConnon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 pm

A brief introduction to our family. My name is Betty McConnon and my husband is Francis McConnon, we live in Killanny, Carrickmacross. My husband's Father was Patrick McConnon, Corcrin, Carrickmacross. We have recently met with Patricia Wiseman and Peter and Clare when they visited Ireland. my email address is elizabeth@mcconnon.com.
We would be interested to hear from you.
regards
Betty McConnon