LYONS, McLarnon, deBurgh, Sinnott / Synnott in Drummully, Cl

cathhat

LYONS, McLarnon, deBurgh, Sinnott / Synnott in Drummully, Cl

Post by cathhat » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:51 am

I am currently researching my paternal grandmother Ethel Gertrude Lyons’s family. Ethel was born in Drummully, Clones, Co. Monaghan, in 1898 to William James Lyons (1856 to 19 Dec. 1929) and Mary Frances Synnott Lyons (1862 to 28 Nov. 1918). It seems that both Mary Frances and William were National school teachers in Clones. Both are buried in the churchyard of St. Marys COI in Newtownbutler. Perhaps the couple were from other places originally—son William (b. 1886) lists place of birth as Donegal town on Canadian military paperwork.
They had 14 children between 1880 and 1904. The family was featured in a News of the World article about “large Irish families” in 1909 or so. Most of the children left Ireland for Canada, South Africa, and the US. Son Joseph stayed in the Drummully area after serving in the British military 1911-1915: he reported in discharge paperwork having a farm of 25 Irish acres in the area. In 1908, one family ship manifest entry names a cousin, Louis deBurgh, living in St. Louis, Missouri. One daughter, Lucy, married Alexander McLarnon of Antrim before leaving for NYC in 1907. I know nothing about the lives of three daughters: Isabel Florence (b. 1888), Margaret Jane (b. 1891), and Elizabeth (b. 1892 or 3).
One great help would be access to possible obituaries [please see dates of death above for Ethel’s parents] in the Northern Standard microfilms that are available at the Clones branch of the Co. Monahgan Public Library. I am in the US, so these are far beyond my reach.