Prof PJ Drumm (1898-1952) native of Derrygooney, Aghnamullen

edwardbarrett

Prof PJ Drumm (1898-1952) native of Derrygooney, Aghnamullen

Post by edwardbarrett » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:58 pm

To members of Clogher Historical Society:
I am working on a biography of Professor Peter John Drumm (1898-1952), the first Professor of Biochemistry at University College Cork. Professor Drumm was a man of extraordinary ability and an outstanding chemist and biochemist and his achievements deserve to be recorded and evaluated. Unfortunately, he died suddenly at 55 years of age. His death at such a relatively young age was a tremendous loss to his academic colleagues and students at UCC. He was born in County Down in 1898 and grew up in Derrygooney, Aghnamullen, Co. Monaghan. He attended St. Macartan's College and UCD. He also taught at St Macartan's for a couple of years in the early 1920s. He completed postgraduate studies at UCC. He also studied abroad, in England, Germany and Scotland and was appointed to the first chair of biochemistry at UCC in 1946. His elder brother, Professor J J Drumm (UCD), became widely known as the inventor of the Drumm Battery. His younger brothers, Charles and Patrick also taught at St Macartan's College and were priests of the Diocese of Clogher. Professor Drumm's father, John, was a native of County Fermanagh. His mother, Brigid Drumm (nee Connolly) taught at Derrygooney National School.
I would greatly appreciate any information on Prof Drumm's childhood years in Derrygooney and his early education and family connections. My email address is: edwardjbarrett AT eircom.net
With thanks,
Dr. Ned Barrett.
6th January 2014.