Turbitt family of Clogher, Tyrone

djwebb1969

Turbitt family of Clogher, Tyrone

Post by djwebb1969 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi. I have just found out that an ancestor of mine, Henry Turbitt who became an emigration agent based in Liverpool, was from Clogher, Tyrone. When he married in Liverpool, he married in a Catholic church. I note that because the surname sounds unusual and I wonder when the Turbitts arrived in Co. Tyrone.

Henry Turbitt was born in the 1820s, and was son of a Patrick Turbitt. I have found online there are many Turbitt's in a village called Errigal Keerogue, which I think is part of Clogher, but none that exactly correspond to him.

He had a sister called Susan Daley.

If anyone knows anything about Turbitts in Tyrone, I'd love to hear of it.

garthj

Re: Turbitt family of Clogher, Tyrone

Post by garthj » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:29 am

My great grandfather James Turbitt b c1833 emigrated from County Tyrone to New Zealand in 1864. He was married to Catherine Graham (daughter of John Graham, labourer) in 1858 in Clogher. He was an agricultural labourer who had lived in Faranetra and Crossowen around the time of his marriage. I think he probably was related to the Turbitts in the nearby townland of Cormore (the spelling of the Turbitt name is quite variable in different documents) but I have never been able to be certain of the link. His father, also James, was a shoemaker. He had at least one brother I can locate, Michael, a labourer from Augher, who married Mary Donnelly (daughter of John Donnelly) in Clogher in 1853 and emigrated to New Providence, Rhode Island, US.
I think it is quite likely that Patrick and Henry Turbitt are related in some way to my Turbitt ancestors if they all came from the Clogher area of Tyrone. I would be most interested to exchange details with you.
Interestingly, there was an R.T.Turbitt (probably Robert Thompson Turbitt) in Strabane who was an insurance and emigration agent in the 1860s. So far as I can see, he was related to a long established line of Turbitts in County Londonderry and not related, recently at least, to Turbitts in Tyrone.