Carroll Family

MtnSquid

Carroll Family

Post by MtnSquid » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:30 pm

My grandfather, James Joseph Carroll, was born in Clogher, County Tyrone on Nov. 3, 1863. I am trying to do some family research and have not been able to locate any information on my Grandfather or his family. I have his date of birth from his enlistment papers when he joined the US Marine Corps in 1887 and that's it. He allegedly had siblings but I do not have any info on them or his parents or their families, and have yet to find out when he emmigrated to the USA. Does anybody know where I can obtain some family information on my Grandfather in Clogher? Thanks in advance.....Bill Carroll, Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

jj.mccarroll

Re: Carroll Family

Post by jj.mccarroll » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 am

Bill, I can see that you are still at it. You may recall that you sent me the Corps' documentation some time back.

I would start by trying to find the derivation of his name, which most probably was McCarroll if he came from that area. I've had a computer crash since you sent me that material (actually two of them and the last one wiped out everything). However, I believe there may be a file that contains your material and I will try to locate it.

I think that his inlistment (actually two of them, and he bought out on the last one) did give his name as Carroll but most of the family that came over dropped the Mc for registration in the states. Have you tried to locate him in the census data, after his enlistment in the USMC was up?

I really don't know the status of the census with the Marines in those days, but he had to be somewhere when the census came around after his sorjourn with the Marines was over.

At least you know someone else reads these things.

James Joseph Carroll (the younger one) now in Syracuse, Utah, with Beamer

MtnSquid

Post by MtnSquid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi James:

Thanks for the note and update....sorry to hear about your computer crashing.....been there before.

Don't think my grandfather dropped any Mc from the family name but I suppose it's possible. Still have not been able to ID any documentation or info on when he got to the USA...not sure he did not sign up for the Marines when he got off the boat....don't know. All his Marines paperwork shows Carroll and his date of birth and place of birth....when he got out, he lived the remainder of his life in Brooklyn, NY under name of Carroll. Can't find marriage certificate either here in USA....City of NY can't seem to find anything.....weird.

I have info on his life (somewhat) here in the US after getting out of the Marines but have nothing as to when he got here, how, and info on his family back in Ireland.....I even contacted an Irish Genealogical company in his hometown and they did a cursory search and came up empty.....apparently he was born 1 year before the State started maintaining records.....

See ya.....Bill Carroll

jj.mccarroll

Post by jj.mccarroll » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:12 pm

8O Bill, I made that suggestion to look at the McCarrolls because nearly everyone of them from that area, in that time period, used the Mc. As you know, there were two septs at least, and the one around County Tyrone appears to be a McCarroll. At least I have never seen one that was an O'Carroll from that area. (Actually we have both in our family: from the Cork area here was Honora O'Carroll who married into the Whonohan (Honohan) clan, but that is another story. The O'Carroll's from Dundalk, cigarette people, do not appear to be the O'Carroll's from the south.)

When my grandfather and some of his siblings came to San Francisco (and they were contempories of your Private James Joseph Carroll) they dropped the Mc for some reason. And nearly every other Carroll from around Tyrone dropped the Mc when they emigrated at that time, for whatever the reason. When my grandfather returned to Ireland after the 1906 in San Francisco earthquake he used the Mc again.

The Clogher connection should also be "suspect" in that Clogher at that time was also a Roman Catholic parish for the area that encompassed Eskra (Eskragh). The chapel and graveyard became a parish in its own right later on, so your grandfather may have been using the Clogher as a "regional" handle because when he attempted, if he did in fact attempt to use it, he had difficulty in letting the recruiter know just what a Donacavey or Lurganaglare was and opted to state it was Clogher, because it was his parish and it was a locality that could be found on a map.

:roll: :roll: Have you made a search for James Joseph McCarroll in the Tyrone and Fermanagh birth records? Maybe even in Monaghan.

sstrickland47

Post by sstrickland47 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 am

I too have been researching my gggrandfather, James Carroll and his wife Jane Gavney (Gevney, Gaffney). Both born in Ireland.
My ggrandmother was Johanna Carroll; ggrandfather Robert Hodges. We believe they had at least 2 other children, Anne (Annie) who married James Lenehan, and Patrick. We know that Johanna immigrated to the US and married a Louis Brandt in New Orleans in 1902.
Other than finding Annie Lenehan in the English census of 1911 (Lancashire), we cannot locate any of the family data in Ireland. We have quite a bit on Robert Hodges but the Carrolls are a mystery. Only record of Johanna Carroll is her name on the baptism certificate for my grandfather, Samuel Nevin Hodges (County Cavan). Any connection do you think?

Nicolas Verney

Post by Nicolas Verney » Thu May 15, 2014 11:56 am

jj.mccarroll wrote: 8O Bill, I made that suggestion to look at the McCarrolls because nearly everyone of them from that area, in that time period, used the Mc. As you know, there were two septs at least, and the one around County Tyrone appears to be a McCarroll. At least I have never seen one that was an O'Carroll from that area. (Actually we have both in our family: from the Cork area here was Honora O'Carroll who married into the Whonohan (Honohan) clan, but that is another story. The O'Carroll's from Dundalk, cigarette people, do not appear to be the O'Carroll's from the south.)

When my grandfather and some of his siblings came to San Francisco (and they were contempories of your Private James Joseph Carroll) they dropped the Mc for some reason. And nearly every other Carroll from around Tyrone dropped the Mc when they emigrated at that time, for whatever the reason. When my grandfather returned to Ireland after the 1906 in San Francisco earthquake he used the Mc again.

The Clogher connection should also be "suspect" in that Clogher at that time was also a Roman Catholic parish for the area that encompassed Eskra (Eskragh). The chapel and graveyard became a parish in its own right later on, so your grandfather may have been using the Clogher as a "regional" handle because when he attempted, if he did in fact attempt to use it, he had difficulty in letting the recruiter know just what a Donacavey or Lurganaglare was and opted to state it was Clogher, because it was his parish and it was a locality that could be found on a map.

:roll: :roll: Have you made a search for James Joseph McCarroll in the Tyrone and Fermanagh birth records? Maybe even in Monaghan.

I Had on my Ex-Smoker T-shirt and had my E-cig with me in public when a man approached and we started taking. Whilst discussing vaping and E-cigs he made a most astonishing statement.