Smith & McCabe

Debmarg

Smith & McCabe

Post by Debmarg » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Hello,
I am searching for information about my g-g-grandparents Felix Smith and Margaret McCabe who were married at Dunserk Monaghan on 8 November 1864, before migrating to Australia in 1865.

Margaret McCabe's parents were Hugh McCabe & Margaret Quigley, who I believe are buried at the church cemetery at Killeevan.

Felix Smith's parents were James Smith and Mary Quigley. Felix's birthplace is a mystery. My g-g-grandfather either had a very poor memory, or did not want to let on where he was from for some reason.

He had 8 children in Australia, but on each of the children's birth certificates (where he was the informant) his birthplace is given as -
Cavan, Ireland
Fermanagh, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland (this was given for the last 3 children)

Felix's religion is never given on any records, but wife Margaret was recorded as Roman Catholic. I have come to a brickwall with Felix and his family. :? Perhaps they were from the border of Fermanagh and Monaghan? Could anyone suggest why our Felix fibbed so often :oops: about where he was from? I am ignorant of the politics of the 1800's and perhaps there were reasons for it.

If there is a Smith or McCabe person who may know something of the origins of Felix Smith (b abt 1837) and Margaret McCabe (b abt 1842) I would very much appreciate your help. Thank you,

Debbie

Debmarg

Re: Smith & McCabe

Post by Debmarg » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:39 pm

I thought I would return to say I'm still looking for details of Felix and Margaret Smith. Felix's birthdate seems more likely to be 1842 than 1837, but anywhere in between is also possible. Can anyone help? Please?
Debbie

Debmarg

Post by Debmarg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:35 pm

I have found one or two of the details in the original post need altering.

1. Margaret McCabe was born (not married) at Dunseark, Monaghan.
2. Felix and Margaret were married at "Killivan, Clonas, Co. Monaghan" (not Dunserk Monaghan)

Any clues on how to proceed from here please?

Debmarg

Post by Debmarg » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 pm

I have recently put a very basic website online - Calling Descendants of Felix Smith & Margaret McCabe.
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/smithmob/web/index.html

And here is the address of the page of our "Quigley Quandary", explaining what we know of the two Quigley ladies we are looking for. Please take a look.
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/smithmob/web/quigley.html

Debbie

asmyth

Post by asmyth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for Smyth around Monaghan / Fermanagh myself. Don't think there is any connection between my Smyths and yours, but in looking for a birth of a Joseph Smyth of mine last time I was at the GRO I ordered 2 wrong certs. These were:

1869 - Joseph Smyth, parents John Smyth and Mary Smyth formerly Quigley of Mullaghbrady

1869 - Joseph Smyth, parents Owen Smyth and Bridget Smyth formerly Quigley of Mullaghbrady

I could send you these if they were of any interest to you.

Also, have you checked out:

http://www.claires-rosleaancestry.co.uk/records.htm

I think that website has Smyth / Quigley births and marriages.

Sorry if none of this is of use to you, just thought I'd say it in case it was of any help.

Al

Debmarg

Post by Debmarg » Sun May 11, 2008 5:22 pm

Thank you Al,

That website is a beauty, I haven't seen it before. You're right, there are lots of Smyth/Smiths and Quigleys mentioned. There are also lots of good links given there too, and I'll look them all up.

We don't have any Joseph, Bridget or Owens in our family, so the people in the certificates you have are unlikely to be related except maybe very distantly, but thank you for the offer to share them. It's interesting that they both have Quigleys and Smyth/Smiths marrying - I haven't come across that before. And I'll have to googlearth Mullaghbrady to see how close to Clones area it is. I'm not too good on all these townland, parish and county names. :(

Thanks very much for the information Al. :D I would never have found that website myself.

Debbie

asmyth

Post by asmyth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Debbie,

I tried emailing you a few weeks ago but got no reply.

Please contact me with your correct email address.

I can't find the link but the more I look at these mullaghbrady Smyth's I feel we both may be connected to them.

Al

http://asmyth.tribalpages.com

Debmarg

Post by Debmarg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Hello Al,

I've emailed you a few days ago when I first noticed the message of yours here. Sorry for the delay in replying. Your family ancestry website (link in above post) is very interesting.

Debbie