Carolan / Reid / Reed emmig to South Aus1840's

Jan Branford

Carolan / Reid / Reed emmig to South Aus1840's

Post by Jan Branford » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:47 am

Shirley Estate , Co Moneghan, Ireland - research.

On the ship "Constance" - Anne (age 12) Carolan (pronounced Carlin) arrived in SA 1849.

Anne was my great grandmother.

She married (age 19) my great grandfather James Reid at St Patricks Church Adelaide 29 Sept 1856. witnesses Owen Carolan and Elizabeth Carolan all of Peachey Belt.
John was named as father of James , Thomas as father of Anne.

James and Anne had eleven children - 5 m 5 f living, 1 m dec.

My grandfather was William Reid. 4th son of Anne and James Reid. William was born at Sheok Log / Peachy Belt, South Australia
on 2 June 1865 . He was baptised in a Catholic ceremony on 9 June 1865 at Peachey Belt. Godparents Terence Reid and John Carrollan (sic).

James Reid died on 7th August 1888. A notice in the Advertiser 17 August 1888 read -

Reid On 7th August at his residence near Quorn ...........James Reid ...........
husband of Anne Reid aged 51 years. A colonist of 45 years leaving a wife and 10 children

Before he died, James and Anne settled at Peak Valley. I understand there were two Reid houses at Peak Valley, both at Reid Road, Boolcunda East, near Quorn.

Anne and James lived at Peake Valley from early 1880s when the area was settled. Anne died in Quorn 20 July 1920. James and Anne are buried at Quorn.

Their sons John Joseph and Thomas Owen lived in two houses on Peak Valley .

James Reid lived previously at Virginia, Salisbury, Sheok Log, Peachey Belt, Oaklands (near Coobowie).

I have not been able to find any record of John Reid's arrival with sons James and Terence from Co. Cavan, IRELAND. It seems they arrived in 1843. There seems to be a connection with the Reeds (sic) of Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan who arrived in South Australia on the "Mary Dugdale" in 1840.

I hope the above may fill in a few more gaps and that someone may be able to shed a bit more light on John Reid and his sons James and Terence's arrival in South Australia and John Reid's death

Submitted by: Jan Branford (nee Reid), Adelaide, South Australia.

ozzytrev

Re: Carolan / Reid / Reed emmig to South Aus1840's

Post by ozzytrev » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 am

Dear Jan,
I seem to be going the long way round to send a message. I thought i should mention the material published in SAGHS forms the appendices to an article in the latest issue of Clogher Record. I think it should be out now; Clogher history will be able to tell you. The other 18 or so pages of the article make mention of Thomas Carolan's role in sponsoring others migrants from Monaghan to South Australia. Perhaps you know all this already.You probably know too of Carolan the great Irish harpist. Best of luck with your research
trevor :)

debra

Post by debra » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Jan Branford wrote: Shirley Estate , Co Moneghan, Ireland - research.

On the ship "Constance" - Anne (age 12) Carolan (pronounced Carlin) arrived in SA 1849.

Anne was my great grandmother.

She married (age 19) my great grandfather James Reid at St Patricks Church Adelaide 29 Sept 1856. witnesses Owen Carolan and Elizabeth Carolan all of Peachey Belt.
John was named as father of James , Thomas as father of Anne.

James and Anne had eleven children - 5 m 5 f living, 1 m dec.

My grandfather was William Reid. 4th son of Anne and James Reid. William was born at Sheok Log / Peachy Belt, South Australia
on 2 June 1865 . He was baptised in a Catholic ceremony on 9 June 1865 at Peachey Belt. Godparents Terence Reid and John Carrollan (sic).

James Reid died on 7th August 1888. A notice in the Advertiser 17 August 1888 read -

Reid On 7th August at his residence near Quorn ...........James Reid ...........
husband of Anne Reid aged 51 years. A colonist of 45 years leaving a wife and 10 children

Before he died, James and Anne settled at Peak Valley. I understand there were two Reid houses at Peak Valley, both at Reid Road, Boolcunda East, near Quorn.

Anne and James lived at Peake Valley from early 1880s when the area was settled. Anne died in Quorn 20 July 1920. James and Anne are buried at Quorn.

Their sons John Joseph and Thomas Owen lived in two houses on Peak Valley .

James Reid lived previously at Virginia, Salisbury, Sheok Log, Peachey Belt, Oaklands (near Coobowie).

I have not been able to find any record of John Reid's arrival with sons James and Terence from Co. Cavan, IRELAND. It seems they arrived in 1843. There seems to be a connection with the Reeds (sic) of Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan who arrived in South Australia on the "Mary Dugdale" in 1840.

I hope the above may fill in a few more gaps and that someone may be able to shed a bit more light on John Reid and his sons James and Terence's arrival in South Australia and John Reid's death

Submitted by: Jan Branford (nee Reid), Adelaide, South Australia.

:D Hi Jan, have finally found a relly! Thomas Carolan was my great great granfather. Thomas married Margaret Lynch 1st May 1857 and had 3 children I know of. Mary, James and Susanna. I am descended from Susanna. Your Anne would have been around 20 years old when her father remarried to Margeret. I have all the info on the Carolan family when they docked at Port Adelaide with his children. Would like to keep in touch and trade info if that's ok. Have been searching for this family for a few years now. Happy to have found a relly from this side of our family. Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers Debbie Neil (nee White)

Jan Branford

Post by Jan Branford » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 am

Hi Debbie,

great to feel the joy of your finding a rellie. of course you are welcome to any info i have but i'm afraid i haven't
much to add really. i can send you the descendants of anne and thomas and a few facts i've discovered if you like.

i have finally learnt of john reid's death on the "Wallace" to Port Phillip in 1843/4, but can't see this would be of
lasting interest to you.

perhaps you can tell me how much info you would like. i would certainly be interested in any early happenings
when the Carolans hit south australia.

i am not a great researcher on the computer - i am handicapped - the left overs of transverse myelitis and use
a stylus and Bamboo tablet to communicate. i can send all descendants in my immediate family from John and catherine
to james and anne down if that would be of interest.

regards jan branford

debra

Post by debra » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:29 am

:) Hi again Jan. Any info you have would be wonderful. I still research the brothers and sisters of the Carolan family. I have found that Thomas Carolan died at his daughter's (Anne) and James Reid's residence, near Quorn.Thomas was 89 years old when he died, (17th Jan. 1898). My father told me the Carolan's had a property at Peak Valley (near Quorn). I presume you have the shipping info when they arrived and that the mother and sister of Anne John and Owen died on the journey to Australia. I reside near Peachey Belt Sth.Aust. and found that the family resided Peachey Belt 1850s-1860s. It looks like that Owen married their neighbours daughter, (Jane Wainwright) 22-6-1861, father (Thomas Wainwright). The Carolan's were at Moonta, Wallaroo also, so travelled a bit until they settled at Quorn. It must have been a hard life and admire them all as they helped in the pioneering of the towns they resided at. And here we are!!! Any info you would like just let me know and If I have it would be happy to send to you. It is such a large family with a lot of branches, but anything you have I would be most grateful. Good to make contact. Cheers for now. Debbie

Jan Branford

Post by Jan Branford » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am

sorry to seem so remiss in forwarding info. my daughter is writing a play for come out and the deadline is getting closer and closer. i need her help to
send copies of family info which may be of interest to you. i notice you live near peachey belt the place where a lot of our ancestors began. i am in unley.
rest assured i haven't forgotten your request. regards jan branford