Page 1 of 1

Eskragh has a history

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:34 am
by jj.mccarroll
"A WHILE WITH YOUR OWN ONES", by Patricia McSorley, was published in 1989 and is now out of print. It gathered together many of the historical and geographical facts that formed the thesis for some of the oral stories and anecdotes that emanated from one community in County Tyrone, Eskra - both the district and the parish.

"It is necessary to differentiate between Eskra the district and Eskra the [Roman Catholic] parish. The district of Eskra is the old plantation manor of Cecil and Killyfaddy comprising about fifty townlands of which the parish of Eskra takes in twenty-five. ."Eskra" - a small rural district is situated approximately sixteen kilometers south-east of Omagh, in the northern end of the Clogher Valley.

"If we look at a regional map of the area we see place names as: Eskermore, Eskernabrogue, and Eskerhool - linked by the term "Esker". It is from this term that the parish derives its name. There are two eskers on each side of the pleasant Eskra Water, which were known to the old Irish ancestors of today's parishioners as, Dubh-Eiscir (Black Esker) and Fionn-Eiscir (Fair Esker).

"It is known that the Eskragh area was farmed extensively by the celts and there are a good number of their forts and lisses to prove it. From the early ordnance survey maps of the area it can be seen that there was a fort in Eskragh, one in Corkhill, tow in Lisnarable and three in Tychanny. There is also a large fort near Newtownsaville, through which the road runs.

"There is good evidence of early settlement here in the Ulster Museum. They have superbly decorated god lunula, a sort of crescent shaped gold collar, dating from about 1600 B.C. The collar was found in a bog in Tulnafoile."