Families Steens and Wallace

genesnz

Families Steens and Wallace

Post by genesnz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:32 am

My ggrandfather in New Zealand was William John Steen born 1852 in Co Tyrone. His wife Margaret Wallace [1853] was born in Omagh. They were married in Clogher in a Presbyterian church in ? Carentall in 1873. Their parents were James Steen [1830 Roveagh] and Elizabeth, and Hugh Wallace [?1830, Knocknancy] and Elizabeth Steen. William John and Margaret came to New Zealnd in the 1860's. I would like to find other Irish details but it is tricky from here so any help would be great. many thanks.

pkljdl@sbcglobal.net

Re: Families Steens and Wallace

Post by pkljdl@sbcglobal.net » Tue May 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Dear Wallace family member,

I do not have any Wallace ancestors, but my Harrisons from County Monaghan had children who married Wallaces. Here is some Wallace family tree information.

Thomas Harrison [born about 1720/1730; really I have no dates for him] of Church Hill, County Monaghan, Ireland, had a daughter Ann Harrison who married Robert WALLACE. (Source: "Descendants of Thomas Harrison of Church Hill, County Monaghan." Harrison and Graham pedigree chart made in about 1848. Currently owned by Polly Lynn, of Edwardsville, Illinois, U.S.A.) The children of Robert Wallace and Ann Harrison, she of County Monaghan, are:
1. Jane Wallace [Jane may have had no children.]
2. James Wallace [James may have had no children and lived in Ireland.]
3. Mary Wallace [In Muckno Parish, County Monaghan a probably different Mary Wallace married a Thomas Harrison, son of John Harrison on 18 February 1858 according to FamilySearch, Ireland Marriaces. Accessed 16 march 2011.]
4. George Harrison Wallace [George Harrison Wallace came to America where he may have been a brewer living in New York state. (1901 family tree made by Dunning, a Harrison family lawyer from new York City.)
5. Thomas H. Wallace [Thomas H. Wallace came to America. His name may have been Thomas W. Wallace. 1901 information has him living in Canandaigua, New York. (1901 family tree owned by Polly Lynn)] A relative today, Richard Van Houten, writes that Thoams Wallace had a lengthy obituary. I have failed to make contact with Mr. Van Houten.)
6. William Wallace [had no children].

Robert married second, Mrs. Cromie. They had a son, Robert Wallace born about 1830. (richvh on 6 September 2001, Ancestry.com "Cromie, Wallace, Harrison: Castleblayney" The web address is boards.ancestry.com/localities/britisles.ireland/mog.general/1.41.99.100.1.1/mb/ashx)
Also see 1850 U.S. federarl census in the home of William and Isabella Harrison, NYC, NY, living with them is Robert Wallace age 20.

In another Wallace family, First PResbyterian Church records of Castleblayney have a marriage on 18 February 1858 between Thomas Harrison of Drumakill and Mary Wallace.

In yet another Wallace family, this family was from Clough, Ireland and ended up in Chenango County, New York (state). nathaniel Morton of Clough, Ireland, married Margaret Wallace of Clough, Ireland. They had a daughter, Elizabeth Morton born 21 March 1839 and who ddied 8 February 1900. She married Edward N. Harrison on 6 December 1871.

I hope this helps Wallaces. I would love to read a message from a Wallace family members.
Warmly,
Polly Lynn, pkLjdL@sbcglobal.net

david creddin

Re: Families Steens and Wallace

Post by david creddin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 pm

HI,
My great,great,great,great grandmother was a Jane Wallace from Tullyvernon about 2 miles
from Clogher (Carntall) Presbyterian Church,where she was married to a Matthew Fleming,
25th January 1849, Jane`s father was Alexander Wallace who was married to Elizabeth Mcwilliams possibly in the same church, no date of marriage, Jane was baptised on the 20th
November 1820, i have death date for Jane`s mother 25th february 1868 aged 80, which means a birth date of 1788, i got the baptism record from Clogher Presbyterian, i also have
the marriage info on Margaret Wallace & William Steen, married in the said church on 3rd July
1873, his father was James and address given as FERNAGHADRUM, MARGARET`S FATHER WAS
HUGH & LIVED AT KNOCKMANY WHICH IS ABOUT 3 MILES FROM CARNTALL, YOU STATED THAT
THEY WENT TO NEW ZEALAND IN 1860, DID THEY COME BACK HOME AS THEY GOT MARRIED IN 1873,DO YOU KNOW WHO MARGARET`S MOTHER WAS, HOW DID YOU FIND MARGARET WAS BORN IN OMAGH, THEIR WERE A LOT OF WALLACE`S AROUND THIS PART OF CLOGHER
AND SURROUNDING TOWNLANDS.
THIER ARE SEVERAL WEB SITES THAT GAVE A LOT OF INFO SUCH AS " EMERALD ANCESTORS "
"FAMILYSEARCH.ORG" AND THE CENSUS.NATIONALARCHIVES.IE/

DAVID.