Galoon Cemetery Query

johnohanlon

Galoon Cemetery Query

Post by johnohanlon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:22 am

Greeting from a new member/poster:

A (Microsoft Word version) of "Inscriptions in Galoon Cemetery", by Francis Fitzpatrick, published in the Clogher Record, 1980, pp.264-268 is found on the Internet.

I have a query concerning one death date given in this on-line copy of the published article, which for sure, was not originally composed in MS-Word!

The text of gravestone 09) states: "Erected by Patrick and John Donegan of 32 Dame St. Dublin, in memory of their beloved father Patrick Donegan of Newtownbutler, who departed this life July 5 1823 aged 64 years; ..." (bold text is mine)

Would someone with access to a copy of the original Clogher Record (1980, 10, 2, pp. 264-268) be so kind as to see if the death year was later than the 1823 given above?

We know that one brother, John, who erected this stone, died in 1926, whereas his brother Patrick lived to be 96. It doesn't quite compute, as they say.

Clarification would be greatly appreciated, be assured.

John O'Hanlon
(descendant of John Donegan)

UNA

Re: Galoon Cemetery Query

Post by UNA » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi their

I seen you post and am searching my family the collins family galloon

i found a head stone with a patrick donegan which i think is in the same grave yard i am not sure it is any use but he died 1844 i shall be going to this grave yard in the future (soon) and would take a picture for you. I have added a web address below that you can see the inscription
http://www.irish-world.com/gravestones/ ... ty_Code=11

just copy and paste

this web site is good for general searchs

kind regards

Una Mc Quaid

johnohanlon

Post by johnohanlon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 pm

dhall wrote:
A (Microsoft Word version) of "Inscriptions in Galoon Cemetery", by Francis Fitzpatrick, published in the Clogher Record, 1980, pp.264-268 is found on the Internet.

And it can be found at www.????

My apology to 'dhall' for not responding when yours was posted. replies are sent to me, but some appear to have been caught by the spam filter--I'll fix that. The original web-citation for this Clogher Record article is found at:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/27695815

Thank you for your private email, 'goodwin', I finally did resolve the issue in my original query. The oldest Patrick Donegan (b. 1756/7, d. 5 July 1823) had a son Patrick, (b. 1788, d. 12 Dec. 1872, Dublin). It was this Patrick, and his brother, John (b. 1794, d. 21 Nov. 1862, Dublin) who erected the headstone. Initially, I was confusing him with a grandson, Patrick Donegan (1829-1926). Obviously, the grandson did not erect this stone in the early 1840s--he would have been a child. Too many Patrick Donegans in his family; too many John O'Hanlons in mine ;) I hope this belated reply helps.

We do not know the name of the father of Patrick Donegan (1756/7-1823). He may be buried in that cemetery. Is such information is available in Parish records? Do Parish records exist? How would one proceed?

Thanks, John O'Hanlon

Goodwinm

Post by Goodwinm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:10 am

John,
Might this be of any use . .

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/ ... /index.htm

regards

Michael Goodwin
goodwinm@iolfree.ie